Serves about four people
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 4 large jalapenos
- 4 oz cream cheese softened
- 4 oz medium cheddar cheese shredded
- 4 Tablespoon apple jelly or orange marmalade
- 12 pieces bacon
- 2 Tablespoons any sweet BBQ Rub
- ½ cup Kansas City bbq sauce
- Preheat your smoker to 300 degrees F
- Prepare your poppers by slicing the tops off of the jalapenos, cutting them in half, and scraping out the ribs and seeds inside of the poppers.
- In a food processor, combine the cream cheese, cheddar cheese, and the jelly. Use the back of the spoon to press the filling mixture into each half of the cleaned-out peppers and then press the pepper halves back together.
- On a large cutting board, slice the chicken breasts open, without slicing all of the way through the breasts. Set one filled popper inside of each chicken breast and fold them closed.
- Wrap each chicken breast with about 3 slices of bacon. Secure the bacon ends with toothpicks, if necessary. Season the stuffed chicken on all sides with more of the sweet rub.
- Place the chicken breasts on the smoker, close the lid and cook until the internal temperature reaches 150 degrees F. This process usually takes an hour and a half. Baste the chicken with a sauce, close the lid, and continue cooking until the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F.
Remove the chicken to a cutting board or serving platter and allow it to rest for about 10 minutes before serving. Enjoy!!