8 TBSP. BUTTER
1 LARGE ONION, DICED
1 RED OR GREEN BELL PEPPER, STEMMED, SEEDED, AND DICED
2 STALKS CELERY, DICED
3-4 CLOVES GARLIC, MINCED
1 TSP SMOKED PAPRIKA
1/2 TSP. CAYENNE PEPPER
2 TBSP. WORCESTERSHIRE SAUCE
3 15-OZ. CANS DICED TOMATOES
1 CUP TRAEGER REGULAR BARBECUE SAUCE
2 LBS. SMOKED PULLED CHICKEN AND/OR PORK, COOKED AT A PREVIOUS GRILL SESSION
1/2 LB. SMOKED BEEF BRISKET, CHOPPED, COOKED AT A PREVIOUS GRILL SESSION
6 CUPS CHICKEN BROTH
1 10-OZ. PACKAGE FROZEN LIMA BEANS OR PEAS, THAWED
1 10-OZ. PACKAGE FROZEN CORN, THAWED
1 CUP OKRA, SLICED
TO TASTE SALT AND BLACK PEPPER, FRESHLY GROUND
1-2 TBSP. APPLE CIDER VINEGAR
FOR SERVING HOT SAUCE
HICKORY RECOMMENDED HARDWOOD
- Melt the butter in a large cast iron Dutch oven over medium heat. Saut the onion, bell
pepper, and celery until soft and translucent, 5 to 8 minutes.
- Add the garlic and saut for 2 minutes. Add the paprika, cayenne, Worcestershire sauce,
tomatoes, and barbecue sauce and let simmer for 5 minutes. Stir in the meats. Add the
chicken broth and bring to a boil.
- In the meantime, start the Traeger grill on Smoke with the lid open until the fire is
established (4 to 5 minutes). Set the temperature to 300F and preheat, lid closed, for 10 to
- Put a lid on the Dutch oven and carefully transfer it to the grill grate. Cook for 1-1/2 hours,
adding more broth as necessary. The stew shouldn’t be too soupy.
- Add the lima beans, corn, and okra, if using, and continue to cook, lid off, for about 30
minutes more, or until the vegetables are tender. Add salt and black pepper to taste – the
amount will depend on how salty your smoked meats are – and more cayenne pepper if you
like more heat.
- Add vinegar to brighten the flavors. Serve hot in bowls with hot sauce on the side.