- 1 (4-pound) chicken
- 4 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary
- 3 tablespoons minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice (used a Meyer lemon)
- zest of 1 lemon (used a Meyer lemon), roughly chopped
- 1 teaspoon hot smoked paprika
- salt (if not presalting) and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 lemons, cut into thin slices
Preheat the grill to 450°F.
Mix the rosemary, garlic, olive oil, lemon juice, lemon zest, paprika, and salt and pepper in a bowl.
Spatchcock (butterfly) the chicken as described above, backbone and giblets reserved. Rub the rosemary, garlic mixture all over the chicken, including the breast, thighs, and under the skin. Place the lemon slices, backbone and giblets on a heavy duty rimmed baking sheet. Set a wire rack over the baking sheet and place the chicken on top, breast side up.
Roast the chicken in the oven for 50 minutes or until your thermometer reads 165°F in the thickest part of the thigh (without touching the bone) and the skin is nice and golden brown and crispy.
Let rest for 15 minutes. Enjoy.