- 1 gallon hot water
- 1 pound kosher salt
- 2 quarts vegetable broth
- 1 pound honey
- 1 (7-pound) bag of ice
- 1 (15 to 20-pound) turkey, with giblets removed
- Vegetable oil, for rubbing turkey
- 6 bottles of Schmohz Miracle Off 28th Street Beer
- Two medium size pieces of dried Apple Wood for smoking (Charcoal Smoker)
- Two cups of Apple Wood Smoking Chips
- 1 Baking Pan to put under the Turkey
- Combine the hot water and the salt in a 54-quart cooler. Stir until the salt dissolves. Stir in the vegetable broth and the honey. Add the ice and stir. Place the turkey in the brine, breast side up, and cover with cooler lid.. Brine overnight, up to 12 hours.
- Drink your first Miracle off 28th Street to celebrate your brining process!
- Remove the turkey from the brine and dry thoroughly. Rub the bird thoroughly with the vegetable oil.
- Light your smoker and bring the heat to 225 degrees F.
- While your smoker is heating up, open your next Miracle off 28th Street and enjoy
- If you are using Charcoal – Place the Apple Wood directly on the charcoal just before you place the bird into the smoker
- If you are using an Electric Smoker – Place the Apple Wood smoking Chips in tray just before you place the bird into the smoker
- Set the turkey on the grate in you smoker with the breast side UP in the baking pan. The pan will be used to catch the juices for your gravy.
- If you are using an electronic thermometer (IGRIL or TapAQue) insert a probe thermometer into the thickest part of the breast meat, but not touching the breast bone, and set the alarm for 160 degrees F. Close the lid and cook for 3 hours.
- Have #3 and #4 of your Miracle Off 28th Street Beers while the turkey cooks.
- After 3 hours, check the bird; if the skin is golden brown, cover with aluminum foil tent, not too tightly, and continue cooking.
- Once the bird reaches 160 degrees F, remove from grill, cover with aluminum foil, and allow to rest for 1 hour.
- Enjoy #5 Miracle Off 28th
- Carve and serve.
- Have #6 Miracle Off 28th Street with you meal
Immediately following dinner, adjourn to the couch, turn on the Football Game, and take a nap at halftime — you deserve it!